Growing up for me meant that macaroni and cheese came from a blue cardboard box (sorry mom). And to be completely honest, I still think back on that powdery cheesy mess quite fondly. But had I known how easy it was to make your own homemade macaroni and cheese with REAL cheese and milk I would have started doing it ages ago!
This recipe for a skillet Mac-n-cheese requires no long baking and can be eaten straight out of the pan (just like the boxed stuff) although I love the nice crispy top broiling at the end adds. I’ve replaced the traditional wheat macaroni with protein and fiber rich chickpea pasta but you can use whatever you have on hand.
Give this stuff a go and you’ll never go back to the boxed stuff again!
Skillet White Cheddar Mac-N-Cheese
- 12 oz Banza chickpea pasta shells (about 1.5 boxes) I love using Chickpea pasta but you can totally use regular wheat pasta if it’s what you have on hand
- 2/3 cup green peas, frozen
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp panko bread crumbs (optional)
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta according the package instructions. When there is a bout 1.5 minutes left on your pasta timer, add frozen green peas straight into the boiling water and boil together for the remaining cook time.
- Drain pasta and peas and then pour back into the cooking pot. Set aside on the counter.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a small sauce pan. Add 2 tbsp of flour and cook over medium/medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat down to low and slowly stream in 2 cups of milk while whisking continuously to get rid of any lumps.
- Turn heat back up to medium/medium high heat and cook while whisking frequently for 6-9 minutes until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add in white cheddar cheese. Stir until smooth. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and onion pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour cheese sauce over the cooked pasta and peas and gently fold to combine.
Add a crispy top (optional)
- Transfer the mac-n-cheese to an oven proof dish or skillet.
- Turn the oven on the broil setting.
- Sprinkle the top of the pasta with 2-3 tbsp panko bread crumbs.
- Broil for 2-4 minutes until the breadcrumbs brown and get cripsy. Be sure to keep an eye on it as it can burn easily.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!