Love a good Halloween "Boo" cup but feeling something a bit more sophisticated than the traditional boxed pudding and Oreo combination? Well this recipe is for you!
Using a deliciously light and fluffy French silk pie filling combined with crumbled chocolate bunny graham "dirt" and an adorably spooky meringue ghost this decadent dessert is sure to please both small and large goblins alike.
French Silk Boo Cups
- 8 - 8 oz mason jars or clear plastic cups
- Stand or handheld mixer
For the French Silk cups
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate, broken up into small pieces
- ¼ tsp espresso powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 7.5 oz box Annie's chocolate bunny grahams You can also use chocolate graham crackers or another crispy cookie of your choice.
For the Meringue Ghosts
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- mini chocolate chips for decorating
For the French Silk Cups
- Combine eggs and 1 cup sugar in a small sauce pan and whisk together over medium heat until temperature reaches 160 degrees F (about 3-5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and melt in unsweetened chocolate, you may need to put the sauce pan back over the warm burner (heat off) to get everything fully melted and combined.
- Stir in espresso powder and salt and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Once the chocolate egg mixture has reached room temperature, add butter to the bowl of a stand mixer (or a mixing bowl with a hand mixer) and beat until fluffy.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour in the chocolate egg mixture, scraping down the sides with a spatula. *Note* It is very important that you wait until the chocolate egg mixture has cooled to room temperature before adding it otherwise it will melt the butter and not get fluffy.
- Add in vanilla extract and beat on medium high until the mixtures increases in volume and lightens, around 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar to stuff peaks. Fold half the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Add the rest of the whipped cream and gently fold until no streaks of cream can be seen, being sure not to overmix. Set aside.
- Using your hand, a rolling pin or meat mallet, crush the chocolate bunny grahams into crumbs.
- Add about 1 tbsp of the bunny crumbs to the bottom of each cup.
- Fill a piping bag (or plastic bag) with the chocolate mixture and squeeze approximately ¼th cup of filling in each jar. (you can also just spoon it in if your prefer, I just find it easier to fill by piping)
- Top the filling with another 1 tbsp of bunny crumbs and then add another layer of the chocolate mixture until it has been completely used up. Add a final layer of bunny crumbs and then place jars in the fridge to set for 3 hours to overnight.
Make the meringue ghosts
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F.
- In the base of a stand mixer or a moxing bowl using a hand mixer whisk 4 egg whites until frothy. Add almond extract.
- Turn speed to medium and add sugar gradually, about 1 tbsp at a time, until meringue is glossy and stiff peaks are formed.
- Cut the tip of a piping bag or any plastic bag to about a ½ inch opening. Fill the bag with the meringue and pipe ghost shapes onto a silicone or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Use mini chocolate chips to place eyes and mouth on your ghosts. I prefer to place them pointy side in.
- Bake your meringues for about 45 minutes until firm and slightly browning on the tops.
- Once completely cooled, place on your French Silk Cups and serve. Enjoy!