Chicken Taco Casserole
This Chicken Taco Casserole is a quick, easy and absolutely delicious weeknight dinner the whole family will love! With no canned soup in sight, this recipe uses rotisserie chicken and doesn't require any stovetop cooking before it goes in the oven. A truly simple, flavorful and healthy meal!
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat roughly shredded about 2-3 cups
- 1 15 oz can of corn, drained
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ⅔ cup sour cream I recommend full fat
- 2 tbsp southwestern seasoning (taco or fajita seasoning) This recipe uses seasoning with the salt already mixed in. If you use a salt free or low sodium seasoning feel free to add an extra pinch of salt to the mixture.
- 1.5 cup green enchilada sauce or salsa verde
- 8 medium corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Mexican blend can also use Monterey jack or Colby jack
- tortilla chips, crushed
- avocado, sliced or diced Also great with guacamole
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- salsa or pico de gallo
- lime wedges
- sliced jalapenos
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Ina large mixing bowl combine shredded rotisserie chicken, diced bell pepper, corn, diced tomatoes, diced green chiles, southwestern or taco seasoning and sour cream. Mix thoroughly to combine. Set aside. Add about ¾th cup of green enchilada sauce (or salsa verde) to the bottom of a casserole dish and spread evenly. Arrange half of the corn tortillas pieces (about 4tortillas worth) evenly on top of the sauce to cover completely. Pour about half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas and carefully spread to cover. Then sprinkle about 1 cup of shredded cheese evenly over the mixture. Arrange the remaining tortillas over the cheese to cover completely then pour over the remaining ¾th cup of enchilada sauce. Spread evenly over the tortillas. Add the remaining chicken mixture and then top with the rest of the cheese (about 1cup). Cover the casserole dish with a lid or aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees F for about 25 minutes. Then remove the lid or foil and bake for and additional5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the casserole if bubbly. You may want to broil for about 1 minute at the end to brown the cheese. Just make sure to watch closely so that it doesn't burn!Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10minutes before serving. Add toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Serving: 1servingSodium: 889.2mgSugar: 9.1gFiber: 4gPotassium: 292.4mgCholesterol: 63.2mgCalories: 316kcalPolyunsaturated Fat: 1.3gSaturated Fat: 7.1gFat: 17.2gProtein: 16.3gCarbohydrates: 24.2g