Turkey Taco Pasta
This healthier version of taco pasta is quick, simple and oh so delicious. A perfect weeknight meal the whole family is sure to love!
- 1 lb (16 oz) short pasta (penne, rotini, macaroni, etc.) Any pasta will work but I recommend Banza chickpea pasta for the additional protein and fiber content.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground meat of your choice
- 4-5 tbsp taco seasoning This is about 1.5 packets of 1 oz taco seasoning or you can use any taco seasoning you prefer.
- 2 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes Regular diced tomatoes will also work.
- 2 (15 oz) can corn (drained)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- shredded cheese optional
- chopped green onions optional
- sour cream optional
- cilantro optional
Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions. Drain and then put back into the pot. Set aside. *Note* If using Banza chickpea pasta I recommend cooking for about a minute less than the box instructs and then rinsing thoroughly with cool water. The pasta will be reheated when you mix it into the sauce. If using regular wheat pasta no need to rinse!
Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Add in chopped bell pepper and onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened.
Add in ground turkey and cook over medium high heat for another 3-5 minutes until turkey is cooked through. Use a spatula to break up the turkey into small pieces as it cook.
Add in taco seasoning and mix thoroughly to combine. Cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Pour in 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 2 cans of drained corn and 1/4th cup water. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to low. Continue to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Pour turkey mixture into the pot with the cooked pasta. Add in 1/2 cup sour cream and mix to combine.
Taste the pasta and add any additional salt & pepper to preference
Serve hot with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!