Does anyone remember those delicious casseroles our moms used to make with chicken, broccoli, and the ever present cans of cream of mushroom soup? Well I do, and they were delicious.
This equally delicious, albeit healthier take on the classic casserole has all of the comfort of the original with a fraction of the carbs!
It’s a cinch to throw together and while the spaghetti squash does need to roast for a bit before you fill the boats you can always opt do this step the day before and just assemble the boats before eating if you know you’ll be short on time.
With super classic flavors this is sure to be a dish your whole family will love!
Chicken & Broccoli Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4-5 baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/3 cup chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1.5 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- fresh chopped parsley (optional)
Roast the spaghetti squash
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Halve the spahghetti squash lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and center bits using a spoon or ice cream scoop.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the inside of the squash and sprinkle it with salt & pepper.
- Place the squash, cut side down, on the baking sheet and roast for approximately 40 minutes, or until cooked through but still firm.
- Remove from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Use a fork or spoon to gently scrape out all of the cooked squash and set aside. *Remember* Don't throw away the boats you'll be filling them later!
Make the filling
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium until shimmering. Add in diced onions and mushrooms and cook over medium for around 5 minutes until softened.
- Add in garlic and cook for another minute over medium until fragrant.
- Add in broccoli, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and dried parsley and cook over medium for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in 1/3rd cup of chicken broth and the shredded rostisserie chicken. Cook over medium for another minute or 2 until the chicken is heated through.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream.
- Add in the spaghetti squash strands and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and mix well to combine.
Assemble and bake the boats
- Preheat over (or turn heat down) to 375 degrees F.
- Using tongs or a spoon, fill your empty spaghetti squash "boats" with the chicken and squash mixture until full or until the mixture has been used up.
- Sprinkle approximately 1/4th cup of the remaining shredded cheese over each boat.
- Bake the filled boats at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. If desired, broil them for an additional minute or 2 at the end to get the cheese really brown and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley if desired.