Without a doubt this braised red cabbage and fennel recipe is one of my favorite fall side dishes. It’s incredibly easy to throw together, makes a huge pot that can last through the week and tastes fantastic.
I love serving it with meat, especially pork, and mashed potatoes and it really adds brightness to often heavy fall and winter dishes. Plus, it is absolutely GORGEOUS with its rich purple hue and looks stunning on any dinner plate.
Braised Red Cabbage & Fennel
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, cut in half and then thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, cut in half and then thinly sliced Save fennel fronds for garnish
- 1 whole red cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced 2
- 1 green apple, cored, halves and thinly sliced If you don’t have a green apple you can use whatever you have on hand.
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade I recommend Preserve International
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp butter added just before serving
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a large heavy pot with lid.
- Add in onions and sauteed over medium/medium high heat for around 5 minutes.
- Add in fennel and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add in cabbage, apple, orange marmalade, vinegars, brown sugar, caraway seeds and salt. (The pot may seem very full but remember the cabbage will shrink as it cooks.)
- Stir everything to combine and turn heat down to low. Continue to cook on low, stirring occassionally, for approximately 1 hour until the cabbage is soft and everything is cooked through.
- Before serving add 1 tbsp of butter and salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fennel fronds and enjoy!