My favorite kind of Whole30/Paleo recipes are the ones that are naturally so. Basically meaning that you don’t have to enlist any “tricks” to try and substitute non-compliant ingredients because all the ingredients were already compliant to begin with. This Chili Lime Salmon with Mexica Spiced Sweet Potatoes and Cucumber Avocado Salad is one of those recipes!
30 Minutes Until Dinner
The salmon and sweet potatoes actually cook in the same oven for approximately the same amount of time. This gives you about 20 minutes to throw together the cucumber and avocado salad.
All together, you’re looking at about 30 minutes from start to finish. A perfect, simple and delicious weeknight meal!
The majority of the ingredient list for this recipe is made up pantry staple spices. Especially when doing a Whole30 it’s a good idea to keep you spice drawer well stocked!
Chili Lime Salmon
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of salmon: Make sure to buy the deboned kind and pay careful attention to any stragglers, especially if you’re serving to little ones. I also recommend checking through any pieces you serve to kids just to be sure. (Something we’ve learned from personal experience! Luckily our kids are pretty good about pointing them out, or at least spitting them out.)
- Spices: This recipe replies on a combination of Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and Paprika for its delicious flavor.
- Lime: You’ll use both the zest and juice so give it a good wash!
- Olive Oil: Avocado oil will also work or you can use ghee (or butter if you’re not Whole30/Paleo)
Mexican Spiced Sweet Potatoes
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of sweet potatoes: It’s important to get an consistent dice on the sweet potatoes to ensure they cook evenly. I highly recommend using a vegetable chopper. I cannot tell you how much time this have saved me over the year. There are lots of great options but I’ve linked the one I use below the recipe.
- Spices: I absolutely love the flavor of these sweet potatoes and make them as a side dish with other proteins as well. The combination of Chili Powder, Cumin, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Oregano, Paprika and Cinnamon gives these potatoes a uniquely warming flavor that excentuates the natural sweetness of the potatoes.
- Olive oil or other compliant oil
Cucumber & Avocado Salad
- English Cucumber: English, or hothouse, cucumbers work perfectly for this dish.
- Avocado: Because you’re mixing the avocado chunks with the rest of the salad you are looking for avocados slightly before peak ripeness. Which, to be honest, is generally how I prefer them anyways. I really only buy ultra ripe avocados for guacamole, which is not the consistency we want here.
- Lime: This gives phenomenal acidity to the dish.
- Cilantro: I often hear that cilantro is one of those ingredients that you either love or hate. I happen to love it, especially in this salad. However, if you are a cilantro hater than feel feel to substitute some fresh parsley.
Tips & Tricks
Make sure that you well oil your baking sheet before laying the salmon down. This ensures easy clean up. You can also use foil or parchment paper if you’re worried about sticking.
How hot is it?
While this recipe does have spice, it isn’t overwhelming. My 2 year old eats both the salmon and sweet potatoes without issue. Then again, she was born in Texas so… 😉
However, if you are a heat lover (like my father and grandfather) feel feel to up the amount of chili powder or add some cayenne for an extra kick. You can even dice up some jalapeños and add them to the Cucumber and Avocado Salad for even to the sweet potatoes before they cook.
*Note* The above links are considered as “affiliate links”. This means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided that are signaled with.
The Jam Jar Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn income by advertising and linking to amazon.com, audible.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.