This Broccoli Bacon Quiche with white cheddar in a homemade flaky pie crust pairs beautifully with a simple salad for the perfect brunch, lunch or light dinner.
This is not your neighborhood potluck quiche. With a delicious homemade flaky crust and tender crisp broccoli cooked in bacon grease, this delightful egg tart is packed with savory breakfast flavors.
I actually made this quiche spur of the moment when we had some friends coming over on the weekend. I had some pie dough, bacon and a head of broccoli. My friends (and my husband and I) liked it so much that I knew I needed to get it on the blog straight away.
I love serving this with a simple, herbaceous salad and some minted fruit. But it goes great with any of your favorite brunch and breakfast side dishes. Hope you enjoy!
More breakfast and brunch recipes you will love.
- 9 inch pie pan: I love this ceramic pie pan from Emile Henry.
- Mixing bowl and whisk
- Skillet or cast iron skillet: I recommend this Le Creuset skillet.
For the homemade crust (or substitute with store bought):
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter: If you only have salted butter that is fine. Just don't add the extra pinch of salt at the end.
- Vegetable shortening: If you'd rather not use vegetable shortening you can substitute with extra butter. However, the shortening melts slower and this results in a flakier, more durable crust.
- Ice water: The colder the better!
For the broccoli, cheddar and bacon filling:
- Shallot: You can also use half a small onion.
- Garlic: I highly recommend using freshly minced garlic rather than jarred garlic.
- Broccoli florets: You'll need about one head's worth of florets. This comes out to about 2-3 cups.
- Heavy Cream
- Whole milk: You can substitute with low fat milk but I highly recommend using full fat for the best texture and flavor.
- Nutmeg: I like grating in a little fresh nutmeg for extra flavor but this is entirely optional.
- White cheddar cheese: I recommend using a sharp white cheddar that is freshly grated for the best results. However, you can use a cheese of your preference.
Step by Step Instructions
Time needed: 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Make and par-bake the crust.
If making a homemade crust follow the instructions and chill the dough. Then roll out and place into a pie pan, crimping the edges. If using a store bought pie crust you can skip these steps.
Then line the crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Bake for about 20 minutes. Then remove the parchment and pie weights and poke the bottom of the crust with a fork. Bake for an additional 7-9 minutes.
- Prepare the broccoli filling.
Cook diced bacon in a skillet or cast iron pan. Then remove to a paper towel lined plate. Cook shallots a couple minutes then add in garlic, broccoli and a splash of water and cook until tender. Mix in the cooked bacon and set aside to cool.
- Assemble the quiche.
Mix together eggs, cream and milk with a pinch of salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
Then sprinkle half a cup of cheese onto the bottom of the quiche. Then add cooked broccoli mixture in an even layer. Pour the egg mixture over the top, then add the remaining cheese.
- Bake the quiche.
Place the quiche in a preheated degree oven and bake at 375 degrees F to 35-40 minutes until the center is set. It should giggle slightly without being wet.
Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
My favorite way to serve this quiche is with a simple salad packed with herbs and a tangy vinaigrette. It's also great with a fresh minted fruit salad.
More recipes for you to enjoy!
Made this Broccoli Bacon Quiche recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
Broccoli Bacon Quiche
- 1 9 inch pie pan
- mixing bowls and whisk
Homemade Crust (Or use store bought)
- 1.25 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbsp ice water
- 3 strips of bacon, diced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced can substitute with half of a small white onion
- 1 small/medium head of broccoli, cut into florets about 2-3 cups
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper
- fresh nutmeg optional
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
Make the crust dough (skip if using store bought)
- In a large mixing bowl combine all purpose flour, butter, shortening, sugar, a pinch of salt and 2-3 tbsp of ice cold water. Use a pastry cutter to mix into find crumbs being sure not to over mix or melt the butter. Then press into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Pop in the fridge for at least an hour or until ready to use. Then roll the dough out to about ¼th inch thickness and place into a pie pan. Use your fingers or a fork to crimp the edges. Place in the fridge until ready to bake.
Par-bake the crust
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. *If you don't have pie weights you can use dried beans or lentils or dry rice.*Bake for 20 minutes the remove the parchment paper and pie weights and use a fork to prick the center of the crust. Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes until firm but not fully baked. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. *Note: crust does not need to be fully cooled before adding the filling.*
Make the filling
- While the crust is par-baking, make the filling. Preheat skillet or cast iron pan over medium to medium/high heat and add in diced bacon. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the bacon is crisp. While the bacon is cooking thinly slice the shallot, mince the onion, wash and chop the broccoli florets and grate the cheese. Once the bacon is finished cooking use a slotted spoon to remove it from the pan to a paper towel lined plate. Leave a thin layer of bacon grease in the pan and add the sliced shallot. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Then add the minced garlic and broccoli florets along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp of water to deglaze the pan. Then cook for 3-4 minutes until the broccoli is tender crisp. Remove from the heat and mix in the bacon.
- Crack 4 eggs into a medium size mixing bowl. Whisk to combine then add in whole milk, heavy cream, a pinch of salt and pepper and a pinch of fresh nutmeg (optional). Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Sprinkle about half of the cheese on the bottom of the pie crust. Then evenly layer on the broccoli and bacon mixture and pour the egg mixture over that. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Then back at 375 degrees F for 35-40 minutes until the quiche is set. *You know the quiche is set when the center still has a slight wobble but is not wet.*Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!