This delicious, not overly sweet Strawberry Yogurt Cake is the perfect spring and summer snack, dessert or even breakfast! With just a few simple ingredients it is a breeze to throw together. A tasty treat the whole family will love!
This delightful Strawberry Yogurt is one of my favorite spring and summer treats to make for my family. It could not be easier to make and comes out beautifully moist every time thanks to the yogurt and olive oil.
While you can chop and mix the strawberries directly into the batter, I prefer arranging them on the top for a beautiful presentation. Dust with a little powdered sugar and serve! It makes a fantastic dessert, snack or even breakfast. Enjoy!
More dessert recipes you will love.
For this recipe you will need:
- Mixing bowls: These glass nesting mixing bowls by Pyrex of my favorite kitchen staple.
- Whisk: I love this balloon whisk by Oxo.
- Round cake pan: This 9 inch Oxo Cake tin works great!
- Lemon zester: If you don't have a zester or grater you and finely slice and mince some lemon peel. But I recommend this Oxo zester.
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Lemon: You need both the zest and juice.
- White granulated sugar
- Eggs: Ideally at room temperature.
- Yogurt: I highly recommend using full fat Greek or cream top yogurt for the best texture and flavor.
- Olive oil: I personally love using olive oil for this recipe but you can use vegetable oil if you prefer.
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries: You'll need about a half pint of strawberries for this recipe. About 12-16 strawberries total depending on their size.
- Powdered sugar (optional): I like serving this cake dusted with powdered sugar.
Step by Step Photos
Start by combining all of the dry ingredients and whisking together.
In a separate bowl combine lemon zest and sugar and pinch together. Whenever baking with lemon I highly recommend pinching some lemon zest together with the sugar before incorporating the other ingredients. This help release the oils and fragrance and infuses the cake with lemon flavor.
Then, to the bowl with the sugar add lemon juice, eggs, olive oil, vanilla and yogurt. Whisk until well combined.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 2 batches and whisk until not white streaks of flour remaining (no need to use an electric mixer).
Prepare a round cake pan with butter and flour then pour in the batter.
Wash strawberries and slice in half. Then arrange in a pattern of your choosing on top of the batter before baking.
All the cake to cool completely before serving. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar and top with a dollop of honeyed yogurt or whipped cream if desired.
I love serving this yogurt cake dusted with a little powdered sugar with some fresh strawberries and a dollop of fresh whipped cream or some honeyed yogurt.
- If you don't like the taste of olive oil you can substitute with vegetable oil or another light tasting oil.
- You can use other berries besides strawberries if you prefer. Blueberries, blackberries and raspberries will all work well.
More recipes you will love.
Made this Strawberry Yogurt Cake recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
Strawberry Yogurt Cake
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- round 9 inch cake pan
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil can substitute with vegetable oil
- 1 cup full fat, plain yogurt unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ pint strawberries (about 12-16 total depending on size)
- powdered sugar optional, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper (if desired) and grease with a little butter and flour. Wash strawberries and cut in half. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, salt and baking soda. Whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine sugar and lemon zest. Use your fingers to pinch the lemon zest into the sugar for a minute or so until fragrant and well incorporated. In that same bowl add eggs and whisk together. Then add lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Add about half of the dry mixture to the wet mixture and whisk together. Then add the remaining dry mixture and whisk until there are no more white streaks. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Then top with halved strawberries. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Allow the cake to cool completely, then dust with a little powdered sugar and serve. Enjoy!