These easy-to-make chocolate covered rice Krispie peanut butter balls are about to become your new favorite treat! Similar to classic buckeye but with a delightful extra crunch from the puffed rice. These are perfect for the holidays or any time of year!
Y'all, believe me when I tell you these chocolate covered rice Krispie peanut butter balls are out of this world! My family is obsessed and practically devoured them the last time I made them.
They are similar to a buckeye style treat but the addition of the puffed rice really adds something special. You can do them plain or add sprinkles and other decorations to make them a festive holiday treat. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Christmas Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls with Rice Krispies
This recipe is fantastic for the holidays and is a much appreciated addition to any Christmas cookie box.
If you want to make them a bit more festive you can add holiday themed sprinkles or red and green colored sugar for that extra Christmasy touch.
More dessert recipes you will love.
- Electric mixer: I love using my KitchenAid Stand mixer for this recipe. An electric hand mixer also works great.
- Parchment lined baking sheet: They don't need to bake in the oven so you could also use a large serving tray or a couple of large parchment lined plates.
- Microwavable bowl: For melting the chocolate chips.
- Peanut Butter: Crunchy or smooth will both work for this recipe. It's entirely up to your preference! I personally like using Justin's Honey Peanut Butter. The texture and sweetness level work great!
- Powdered sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Puffed rice cereal: I use the traditional Rice Krispies Cereal for this recipe, but you can use any brand you'd like.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Coconut oil (optional): While optional, coconut oil adds a nice shine and helps the set of the chocolate. You could also substitute with vegetable shortening if desired.
Time needed: 1 hour and 35 minutes.
- Make the peanut butter rice Krispie mixture.
In the bowl of a stand mixer add peanut butter, powdered sugar and melted butter and mix until smooth. Pour in the rice Krispies and mix on low for about 10 seconds until they are evenly incorporated.
- Roll the peanut butter mixture into 1-2 tbsp balls.
You can use a cookie scoop to ensure even sizing, or just eyeball it. They're delicious either way!
- Melt the chocolate.
Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until the chocolate has melted.
- Cover the peanut butter balls in melted chocolate.
Once the chocolate is melted use two spoons to carefully dip each peanut butter rice krispie ball until fully coated. Place the chocolate covered ball on a parchment lined baking sheet or serving tray.
- Place in to fridge until the chocolate coating set and enjoy!
More recipes for you to enjoy.
Made these Rice Krispie Peanut Butter Balls? Let me know what you think in the comment!
Rice Krispie Peanut Butter Balls
- Electric Mixer
- parchment lined baking sheet
- microwave safe bowl
- 1 cup peanut butter I recommend Justin's Honey Peanut but your favorite brand will work.
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2.5 cups puffed rice cereal such as Rice Krispies cereal
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil optional, can also substitute vegetable shortening
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer) combine peanut butter, powdered sugar and melted butter. Mix on medium speed until well combined and creamy. Pour in the puffed rice cereal and mix on low for 10-15 seconds until evenly distributed.
- Using a cookie scoop (or your hands and best guess) roll out 1-2 tbsp balls of the peanut butter mixture and arrange on the parchment lined baking tray until all of the mixture has been used up. Place the tray in the freezer for at least 15 minutes (or the fridge for at least an hour) to firm them up before covering in chocolate.
- Once the peanut butter balls have firmed up melt the chocolate. Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about a minute and a half in 30 second increments. Stirring each time until the chocolate is melted.
- Take the balls out of the freezer and carefully drop them into the melted chocolate, one at a time, rolling until they are completely covered. Use a fork to remove them onto the parchment lined tray. Repeat until all of the balls have been covered. Garnish with sprinkles or extra rice Krispies if desired. Allow them to chill in the fridge until the chocolate is fully set. Enjoy!