This delicious Asian Green Bean Salad is a perfect quick and healthy side dish or snack that can easily be made in advance!
Over Labor Day weekend we took the kids to the beach with some of my family. Now I typically pack snacks of the cracker variety for such outings so I was surprised when my Aunt Patricia pulled out a giant freezer bag full of marinated green beans from her cooler. I wasn't surprised for long however because not only were they beyond delicious but the perfect snack for a hot day on the water.
Of course when I got home I had to whip up a batch myself and I am so excited to share the recipe with you!
- Green beans: Be sure to use fresh not frozen.
- Soy Sauce: If you have a soy intolerance feel free to replace with Coconut Aminos. It will be slightly sweeter but still have great flavor.
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Sesame Seeds
- Ground Ginger
- Fresh Ginger: You can also use ginger paste or jarred minced ginger.
- Garlic Powder
- Garlic Cloves
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: Optional. If you before a more mild dish then feel free to leave these out.
More side dish recipes for you to enjoy.
Tips & Tricks
One of the most important things to get right in this recipe is to not overcook the green beans. They really only need to be in boiling water for 3-4 minutes max and it is crucial to submerge them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process immediately.
If you do this, they'll have a fantastic crispness that will make for truly great, healthy snacking. They also make a fantastic side dish and go great with rice and salmon. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
Serve Immediately or Make Ahead
This is a dish that only gets more flavorful the longer it sits! Make the night before to serve as a cold salad that is sure to impress.
Other recipes you will love.
Made this Asian Green Bean Salad recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
Asian Green Bean Salad
- 2 lb green beans, washed
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ tbsp honey
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, crushed (I use ginger paste)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl by filling it with ice and cold water.Fill a large pot with water and bring to a rolling boil. Add in green beans and cook at a full boil for 3-4 minutes until bright green but still crisp.Drain and immediately submerge in the ice bath to stop the cooking process. Once cool to the touch, drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all remaining ingredients until well combined.Pour marinade over the green beans and mix to coat. Enjoy immediately or allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes for best flavor. Enjoy!