This Whole30 Beef & Root Vegetable Stew is a variation of a stew that I have been making for years. And y'all, it. is. the. bomb. Delicious and comforting, this recipe is completely Whole30 and Paleo compliant but feels like a delectable indulgence. A perfect fall and winter meal!
The Perfect Whole30 Beef Stew
The stew recipe is one of my favorite dinners of all time, on or off Whole30.
The key to a fabulous beef stew is getting a good sear on the stew meat and then cooking the aromatics in those delicious drippings.
Be sure to plan ahead so you have time to let this stew simmer for a few hours.
More Whole30 recipes for you to enjoy!
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Mixing Bowls
- Dutch oven or large, heavy bottom pot with lid: I love my Le Creuset Dutch Oven and use it more than any other pot in my kitchen!
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Beef Stew Meat: Quality definitely does make a difference when it comes to stew meat. I high recommend going for a grass-fed and grass-finished beef if it is available.
- Root Vegetables: You will need about 3 ½ to 4 cups of diced root vegetables for this. recipe. I like a nice mix of turnips, carrots and parsnips. If you've never had a parsnip they are kind of like a sweeter carrot which really compliments this stew replacing any sugar that might have been added.
- Beef Broth: If you are doing Whole30 be sure to check those labels to make sure there isn't any added sugar in your broth. You can also make your own beef bone broth by slow cooking beef bones with veggies and water for around 16 hours on low.
- Garlic and Onions: Garlic and onions soak up all the delicious beef drippings after the initial sear, adding more depth of flavor to the stew.
- Pantry Staples: You will also need Olive Oil, Coconut Aminos, Fish Sauce, Balsamic Vinegar, Bay Leaf, Salt & Pepper
Whole30 "Worcestershire Sauce"
Because the original version of this stew is one of my family's favorites, I was determined to come up with a Whole30 compliant alternative that they would love just as much. My main challenge was figuring out a replacement for the Worcestershire sauce. After some experimentation, I found that a combination of coconut aminos, fish sauce and balsamic vinegar works perfectly. It is basically indistinguishable from Worcestershire sauce!
If you feel a little timid about using fish sauce you should know that Worcestershire sauce actually has anchovies in it, which gives it that umptiousness. Be sure to check your fish sauce labels for any added sugar. I highly recommend purchasing Red Boat Fish Sauce. It's a little more expensive than some of your other options. But believe me when I tell you, it is a Whole30 game changer.
Whole30 Serving Suggestions
This Whole30 beef and root vegetable stew is delicious on its own. However, I highly recommend serving it with some compliant mashed potatoes for a fabulous and filling meal that will have you forgetting your eating on program.
The way I like to make my potatoes is to peel them and boil them in salted water until soft. Then mash with ghee, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little full fat coconut milk for texture. My secret ingredient is to finish them with a little white truffle oil. The truffle oil masks any hint of coconuts from the coconut milk and gives the potatoes a delicious, earthy flavor. Yum!
Is this Beef Stew low-carb / Keto ?
It is! If you are following a low carb or keto diet simply serve the stew on its own and forgo the mashed potatoes.
The only vegetables in the stew are carrots and turnips, which are lower in carbs.
If you want to make this Keto, simply replace half the carrots with turnips to get that carb count as low as possible without sacrificing on flavor.
Check out more Whole30 Recipes from The Jam Jar Kitchen!
The above links are considered as â€œaffiliate linksâ€. This means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided that are signaled with.
The Jam Jar Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn income by advertising and linking to amazon.com, audible.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program