This elevated take on a classic Steak Salad combines tender flat iron steak with deviled eggs and lettuce dressed with a lemon, horseradish and truffle vinaigrette. An insanely delicious low carb dinner that will have you going back for more!
Thank you DFG!
One of my favorite steak salads in the world is the one they serve at Del Frisco's Grille at Sundance Square in Fort Worth, Texas. The meat is always seasoned perfectly, the dressing is delicious and they always serve it with a couple of deviled eggs.
This recipe is my personal riff on their classic dish!
Let's talk about Steak.
While you can get away with several different cuts of steak for a steak salad, I highly recommend going with a flat iron steak.
The flat iron steak is an extremely tender, well-marbled and flavorful steak that doesn't require a long marinade and is perfect for grilling. You can typically get flat iron steaks from 1-2 pounds which means one steak is plenty for a family dinner.
Equipment need for this Steak Salad with Deviled Eggs
- Paper Towels
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Mixing Bowl & Spoon
- Mason jar with lid or small bowl with a whisk for making the dressing
- Flat Iron Steak: For this recipe I like to get 1-2 pounds of flat iron steak. If you can't find that particular cut flank steak will also work you'll just need to tenderize it with a meat mallet and make sure to slice it against the grain.
- Eggs: I typically use 6 large eggs for this recipe. That way if you're making this dish for 4 people everyone gets 2 deviled eggs (2 full eggs go into the filling). If you are huge deviled egg lovers feel free to double or even triple this recipe.
- Sweet Pickle Relish: You can also chop up a few bread and butter pickles.
- Yellow Mustard
- Chopped Chives: Fresh or freeze dried will work.
- Lettuce: I like a mix of romaine, butter lettuce and mixed spring greens for this recipe but your favorite lettuce will do.
- Grape Tomatoes
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Olive oil : Quality does make a different when using olive oil for salads.
- Champagne Vinegar: White wine vinegar would work fine too.
- Prepared horseradish
- Truffle Oil: I highly recommend not skipping the truffle oil. It adds a fabulous, earthy flavor to the salad and tastes fantastic on the deviled eggs. You don't need a crazy expensive bottle and most grocery stores sell reasonably priced white truffle oil in the oil and vinegar sections. My favorite is Truffle Hunter Truffle Oil.
- Honey: When it comes to honey the more local the better, but any brand will do.
Tips and Tricks for grilling a fabulous steak
Bring your meat to room temperature before grilling.
I typically recommend taking your meat out of the fridge around 30-45 minuets before putting it on the grill.
Season, Season, Season
Rub your steaks with a little olive oil and then really give them a good sprinkle of salt and freshly cracked ground pepper. If you have a favorite rub you can use that too but make sure that you get enough salt on the steak.
Preheat your grill for at least 10 minutes before cooking.
Get your grill good and got before well before you cook the meat. You should immediately hear a sizzle when the steak goes on the grill. If not, you won't get that delicious char on the outside. I usually let my grill preheat for at least 15 minutes with a closed lid before cooking my steaks.
When in doubt, use a meat thermometer.
Get yourself a quick read meat thermometer. They are not terrible expensive and are the easiest way to tell if you meat is cooked to perfection.
Check out more Grilling Recipes from The Jam Jar Kitchen!
The above links are considered as â€œaffiliate linksâ€. This means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided that are signaled with.
The Jam Jar Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn income by advertising and linking to amazon.com, audible.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.