These simple but flavorful Grilled Pepper & Mozzarella Sandwiches are a perfect vegetarian summer dinner that comes together in only 20 minutes!
Grilled Pure Flavor® Sweet Bell Peppers, aged Balsamic vinegar, fresh mozzarella and pesto piled high on a ciabatta bun makes for a fabulous meal you'll want to eat again and again.
Sometimes the best meals are the ones that involve high quality ingredients prepared simply. This is one of those recipes.
Pure Flavor® Sweet Bell Peppers grilled to al dente perfection with a nice char that carries a ton of fabulous flavor. Combine that with your favorite store bought pesto, fresh slices of mozzarella cheese piled on a toasted ciabatta bun and sprinkled with a little aged balsamic vinegar and fresh basil. It's beyond delicious!
Why choose Pure Flavor® Sweet Bell Peppers?
By now I'm sure y'all know I am a big fan of Pure Flavor® produce, and these bell peppers are no exception. They are committed to ensuring the highest quality greenhouse grown produce and treat their growers, employees and customers with the upmost respect.
My son has been devouring slices of these crunchy peppers raw as a super healthy snack. I find the grilling process really brings out that sweet flavor and pairs beautifully with the mozzarella and pesto.
Learn more at www.pure-flavor.com
- Cutting board and sharp knife
- Foil lined pan or plate
- Silicone pastry brush (optional): I really love these Silicone basting and pastry brushes available on Amazon. If you don't have a pastry brush simply rub the olive oil onto the bread and peppers and use a knife or spoon for the pesto.
- Pure Flavor Sweet Bell Peppers: Quality really does make a different when it comes to produce. Pure Flavor's Sweet Bell Peppers are fresh and crunchy, with just the right amount of sweetness.
- Olive oil
- Ciabatta buns: I love using ciabatta for this recipe. It absorbs all the great flavors and holds up really well. If you can't find ciabatta buns or rolls (that you can slice in have), you can use a loaf of ciabatta. Just slice in half and then portion out to individual sandwich sizes.
- Pesto: Your favorite store bought brand works great for this recipe. If you'd like to make your own pesto check out my recipe for Perfect Homemade Pesto.
- Fresh Mozzarella: You can use a ball of fresh mozzarella but I like buying it in log form so it's easier to slice.
- Aged balsamic vinegar or Balsamic glaze: Aged balsamic vinegars are thicker and sweeter than your everyday balsamic. If you can't find an aged balsamic then go for a balsamic glaze. I wouldn't recommend substituting with normal balsamic vinegar.
- Fresh basil (optional): This is optional but I think it really gives a nice pop of herby freshness.
- Sea salt & fresh cracked pepper
Step by Step Instructions
Time needed: 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill over medium to medium hight heat for at least 5-10 minutes.
Do not cook the pepper on a grill that has not been preheated. You won't get the lovely char and the cooking time will be off.
- Prepare the bell peppers.
- Prepare the ciabatta buns.
- Grill the bell peppers.
Grill cut side down undisturbed with the lid closed over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Flip and repeat.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking, toast the ciabatta buns.
Place prepared ciabatta buns on a raised grilled rack away from direct heat and cook for a minute or two until the mozzarella is melted and buns are toasted.
- Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can definitely do this recipe in an oven. Simply preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and place the oiled peppers cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast for 10-15 minutes then flip sides and roast for an additional 10-15 minutes until they are cooked through with a nice char. You can also toast the bread in the oven at the end. Simply broil for a minute or two before serving.
You can! But I do like ciabatta because it holds up really well. I recommend substituting with a nice sourdough or even focaccia.
I would recommend sticking with a glaze or aged balsamic. The older the vinegar the sweeter and thicker the consistency, which works well in this recipe.
Check out more Vegetarian Recipes from The Jam Jar Kitchen!
Grilled Pepper & Mozzarella Sandwiches
- Cutting board and knife
- Foil lined pan or plate
- Grill and tongs
- Pastry brush (optional)
- 4 Pure Flavor®Sweet Bell Peppers in Red, Yellow & Orange, halved with the stems, seeds and pith removed
- Olive oil
- 4 Ciabatta buns or rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4-6 tbsp pesto
- 8 oz log of fresh mozzarella
- Aged balsamic vinegar OR Balsamic glaze
- sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat grill over medium to medium high heat until hot.
- While the grill preheats, wash bell peppers and slice in half. Remove seeds and pith. Brush both sides of the pepper with olive oil. Set aside.
- Brush the outside of the ciabatta buns with olive oil. Lay both halves of the buns cut side up and brush both inner halves with ½-1 tbsp of pesto. On the bottom half arrange a few slices of fresh mozzarella. Set aside.
- Once the grill is hot place bell peppers, cut side down, on the grill and cook over medium heat with the lid closed for 4-5 minutes. Flip the peppers to the other side and grill with the lid closed for an additional 4 minutes until charred, but still al dente. Remove the peppers to a foil lined pan or plate and sprinkle with a little sea salt and black pepper.
- During the pepper’s last 2 minutes of cooking, place ciabatta buns, cut sides up, on a grill rack away from direct heat. Close the lid and continue cooking until the buns are toasted and the mozzarella is melted. Remove from the grill.
- Assemble the sandwiches by places two halves of the grilled bell pepper on the bottom half of the ciabatta bun with the melted mozzarella. Top with a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze and a few leaves of fresh basil. Place the top half of the ciabatta bun on top, cut in half and enjoy!