Try saying that 5 times fast! I have to tell you I have been making a version of this Green Chili Chicken Chili (or White Chicken Chili) for YEARS and up until now, much to the chagrin of friends of family, have never thought to actually write down the recipe. Whenever friends have asked me for it I just text them basic ingredients saying which I’ve told is very annoying. So, this one is for all of you!
Like most chilis, soups and stews, this recipe is very forgiving and can be adjusted to suit personal tastes. If you like things a little more mild, feel free to cut back on the green chilis and cayenne. This recipe definitely has a solid kick to it but if you are a gluten for punishment you can always add more cayenne or even chopped jalapeño or two. This chili is a perfect crowd pleasing recipe for cooler temperatures. Hope you enjoy!
Green Chili Chicken Chili
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (Omit for a more mild chili)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chilis (Reduce to 1 can for a more mild flavor)
- 1 15 oz can hominy, drained I prefer white hominy, but yellow would work fine.
- 1 15 oz can corn, drained
- 4-5 cups chicken broth (This recipe is especially delicious with homemade broth, but any quality chicken broth will work.)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- salt & pepper to taste
- crushed tortilla chips (optional, for serving)
- chopped green onions (optional, for serving)
- shredded cheese (optional, for serving)
- sliced avocado (optional, for serving)
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large heavy pot with a lid over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add chopped onions and sautee over medium/medium-high heat for about 4 minutes until softened.
- Add in crushed garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant. Then add in diced green chilis and cook for another minute or so.
- Add in cayenne, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt, hominy, corn and shredded chicken and cook for 1 minute until combined and heated through.
- Stream in 4-5 cups of chicken broth bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to low, cover and continue to simmer on low for around 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and cilantro.
- Squeeze in the juice of 2 limes and taste for seasoning. Add additional salt & pepper if necessary.
- If desired, serve with crushed tortilla chips, green onions, avocados, shredded cheese and/or a dollop of whippe cream. Enjoy!