This Low Carb Chicken Panang Curry 'Noodle' Soup utilizes Root Rebel plant-based noodles for a spicy and flavorful dish that's better than takeout!
What is Panang Curry?
Panang curry, sometimes spelled Phanaeng or Phanang, is type of Thai red curry that is thick, salty, spicy and a little sweet, with a touch of Kaffir lime.
You can make your own Panang paste but I love using Maesri Thai Panang Curry paste. If you prefer to use a curry paste that is Paleo compatible Mae Ploy Panang is a great option without any added sugar.
Both pack a huge punch of flavor without a ton of effort!
A Low Carb Noodle Soup?
Yep, you read that right! This recipe utilizes Root Rebel Plant Based Noodles to keep the calorie and carb count at a minimum without sacrificing on flavor and texture!
Root Rebel Plant Based Noodles
Root Rebel noodles are vegan, shirataki noodles that are low carb, low calorie and absolutely delicious. Honestly the best shirataki noodles I have tried to date, they have no strange aftertaste and fantastic texture.
They are a perfect low carb replacement for rice noodles and hold up beautifully in this soup!
You can purchase through the Root Rebel website or order them from Amazon to be delivered straight to your door!
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs: You can use chicken breast in this recipe if your prefer. I just think that chicken thighs have great flavor and work really well in a soup.
- Cooking Oil: I like using olive oil for this recipe just because it's what I usually have on hand. Feel free to use avocado oil, vegetable oil, canola oil or your favorite mild cooking oil.
- Panang Curry Paste: You can purchase Panang Curry paste online or at many grocery stores, or simply make your own. If you can't find/like Panang, then your favorite red curry paste will work.
- Yellow Onion
- Fresh Garlic
- Fresh Ginger: Ginger paste will also work in this recipe.
- Green & Red Bell Pepper: I like the combo of one green and one red bell pepper. But feel free to use your color of choice.
- Coconut Milk: Full fat HIGHLY recommended.
- Chicken Broth
- Root Rebel Plant Based Noodles: You can order them on here on Amazon.
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Basil, Cilantro, Lime: These are for garnish. You could also add sliced chilis, mung beans sprouts or other toppings.
What Kitchen Equipment Will I Need?
You will need a large, heavy bottom pot (such as a Dutch oven), a chopping board and good knife. You will also need a plate or bowl to rest the browned chicken before adding it back to the soup.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure that the oil is good and hot before you add the chicken. Otherwise it won't brown properly and will stick.
- Do not skip the step of cooking the curry paste in oil. This really brings out the flavors and make a huge difference.
- Always be sure to season to taste!
Is this recipe Paleo?
It can be! Just be sure to check the ingredients in your curry paste. Anything with added sugar would not be considered Paleo. Mae Ploy Panang Curry Paste is a great Paleo option.
Check out other Low Carb Recipes at The Jam Jar Kitchen!
The Jam Jar Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn income by advertising and linking to amazon.com, audible.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program
This sounds very delicious. I love that is low carb and healthier. Thanks for this lovely dinner idea.
Thanks! Hope you enjoy! ðŸ˜Š
What are the nutrition facts? Made it tonight and It was absolutely delicious but I am just noticing there is no information on the nutritional value of the soup.