Crunchy tortilla chips and tender grilled steak topped with sour cream, pico de gallo, guacamole and all the cheese make these Flank Steak Nachos the ultimate flavorful finger food!
These nachos are a Flight family favorite!
They are insanely flavorful and just so easy to make! Plus, it's super fun to put a big pan of them in the middle of the table and let everyone have at it. True family style cooking!
Why use flank steak?
Flank steak is one of my favorite pieces of meat to work with because it is insanely flavorful as pretty darn affordable compared to other cuts.
It's generous marbling gives you a similar flavor to skirt steak, but it's a thicker and a lot more tender.
You could use skirt steak for this recipe. Just be sure to really tenderize it and marinate a little longer.
Flat iron steak would also work. It doesn't need to be tenderized as much and can marinate for about the same amount of time.
Check out other Grilling Recipes from The Jam Jar Kitchen!
- Meat Mallet: I like this one from the Checkered Chef. It's less than $10 and you can order it one Amazon.
- Large Plastic Freezer Bag: This is to marinate the meat in. You can use any container that allows the meat to be fully covered by the marinade.
- Grill: We love our Char-Broil Grill. It's around $300, uses propane and is great for everyday use!
- Sheet Pan
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Aluminum Foil
- Cheese Grater (optional): While I highly recommend grating your cheese yourself, you can definitely use pre-grated cheese. In which case, you wouldn't need the cheese grater.
- Flank Steak: If you can't get you hands on flank steak you can substitute with skirt steak. However, you'll want to. tenderize it more and let it marinade a little longer as skirt steak tends to me tougher than other cuts of beef. You could also use Flat Iron Steak.
- Southwestern or Taco Seasoning: I really like Yep!Shake Southwestern Seasoning for this recipe, but any of your favorite Southwestern, Fajita or Taco Seasonings will work.
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar: You could substitute white wine vinegar or even plain white vinegar in a pinch.
- Fresh Garlic
- Tortilla Chips: Look for a sturdy tortilla chip that can handle a lot of toppings.
- Cheese: I like to do a mix of Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese for this recipe. In my personal opinion, freshly grated cheese works best. However, if you are in a crunch for time feel free to use pre-shredded cheese.
Flank Steak Nacho Toppings
The sky is the limit when it comes to toppings for these delicious flank steak nachos!
My favorite toppings to use are:
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Pico de Gallo
You can totally use store bought pico de gallo and guacamole but if you'd like to make your own at home it's so much easier than you might think!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Steak Nachos
Tip: Tenderize the meat.
The key to a beautifully tender and delicious grilled flank steak is to tenderize it with a meat mallet.
If you don't already have one I like this Checkered Chef Meat Mallet. It's less than $10 and you can buy it on Amazon. A total game changer when it comes to cooking meat!
You also want to marinade the meat for at least 1 hour, ideally 4 -6 hours, and up to overnight. This imparts terrific flavor as well as helping to tenderize the meat.
Tip: Slice against the grain.
I can not overemphasize how important the way you slice your steak is to creating the ultimate tender bite.
Flank steak, like skirt steak, has long stringy fibers that, if cut incorrectly, can make the meat chewy and tough to eat.
The key is the slice against the grain, breaking up these fibers so each bite is succulent and tender!
Tip: Let the meat rest.
Just 5 minutes makes a big difference!
Tip: Spread the chips in a single layer.
That way every chip gets covered in cheese, steak and toppings!