Take chicken breasts to another level with this easy and delicious Grilled Chicken Sandwich! Moist grilled chicken topped with melty provolone and served on bacon grease toasted brioche bun with seasoned mayo, fresh tomatoes, bacon, iceberg lettuce and pickles. The perfect sandwich bite!
Grilled chicken sandwiches kind of have a less than exciting reputation when it comes to summer cook outs. But I can assure this is not your ordinary dry chicken sandwich.
Marinated in spices and a little pickle juice, these chicken breasts topped with melty provolone cheese served on a brioche bun that has been toasted in bacon fat (I know) are anything but boring!
Give this a try and you'll definitely be adding to your weekly summer rotation!
Check out other Grilling Recipes from The Jam Jar Kitchen!
- Grill: I love my Charbroil Grill and use it all the time!
- Grill safe tongs or spatula
- Foil lined pan
- Paper towel lined plate
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring Cups and spoons
- Meat Thermometer (optional): This is optional but it's definitely the best way to ensure your meat is cooked properly. I highly recommend the Oxo meat thermometer.
- Chicken breasts: Quality definitely makes a difference when it comes to chicken breasts. Look for meat that is organic, hormone free and ideally free range.
- Olive oil
- Pickles and pickle juice: Pickle juice gives a great kick of flavor to the chicken breasts and seasoned mayo!
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Brioche buns: You can totally use regular burger or sandwich buns but I think brioche buns really make a difference and turn this sandwich into something special!
- Provolone Cheese: Swiss or cheddar would also work.
- Iceberg lettuce (optional): You can really use any lettuce you like or leave it off entirely. I love the fresh crunch of iceberg in this sandwich.
- Tomato (optional)
- Red Onion (optional)
- Salt & pepper
Step by Step Instructions
Time needed: 1 hour and 55 minutes.
How to make Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Gently pound the chicken to achieve an even thickness.
- Make marinade and pour over chicken. Marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the grill and cook the bacon.
Once the bacon is crispy remove from the pan and set on a paper towel lined plate. Pour out some of the bacon grease but leave a small layer to toast the buns on.
- Grill the chicken.
- While the chicken is grilling, toast the buns in the skillet with the layer of bacon grease.
Place in the pan cut side down and toast over medium high heat until golden and crisp on the edges.
- During the last minute of grill time, top the chicken breasts with some provolone cheese slices.
- Remove chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- While the chicken rests make the seasoned mayo.
- Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy!
If you want to make this recipe low carb you can skip the brioche buns and serve in a lettuce wrap.
Frequently Asked Questions
The thickest part of the chicken needs to register 165 degree F to be considered safe. The easiest way to determine this is by using a meat thermometer. I like this Oxo meat Thermometer.
Simply brush the buns with some melted butter or olive oil and toast cut side down in a skillet over medium high heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
You can also make these sandwiches using the stove. Simply marinate the chicken according to the instructions. Then heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add the chicken breasts and then put a lid on the skillet. Cook undisturbed over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes, then flip to the other side and repeat until the chicken registers an international temperature of 165 degrees F.
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Grill & tongs (or grill spatula)
- Meat mallet or rolling pin
- Plastic freezer bags (or container to marinate the chicken in)
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- foil lined pan
- paper towel lined plate
For the grilled chicken breasts
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp pickle juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
For the seasoned mayo
- ⅓rd cup mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 tsp pickle juice
To assemble the sandwiches
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 Brioche buns
- 4-6 slices provolone cheese
- iceberg lettuce
- thinly sliced red onion
- pickle slices
- sliced tomato
Marinate the chicken
- Lay the chicken breast inside a freezer bag or between two sheets of parchment paper. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to gently pound the chicken to an even thickness. *Note* You don’t need the chicken to be super thin, you just want a consistent thickness so it will cook evenly. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts and place in a large freezer bag. Set aside. In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil, pickle juice, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt & pepper. Stir to combine. Pour the marinade over the chicken breasts and allow to marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
Grill the chicken
- Take your marinated chicken breasts out of the fridge and allow them to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Preheat your grill on medium high heat until very hot (5-10minutes). Place chicken breasts on the grill and cook over medium high heat with the lid closed for 4-5 minutes. Flip chicken to the other side and continue to grill over medium high heat for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature between 160 and 165 degrees F. Layer slices of provolone cheese over the chicken breasts and close the lid for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute until the cheese is melted. Remove chicken from the grill and place in a foil lined pan.Loosely cover with foil and allow chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Cook the Bacon & Toast the Buns
- While the chicken is grilling cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Remove bacon from the skillet and place on paper towel lined plate. Do not throw away the bacon grease!Pour all but a thin layer of bacon grease in the pan and place it back on medium high heat. Place both halves the buns, cut side down, into the pan and toast in the bacon grease for about 30 seconds. Watch closely to make sure they don’t burn!Remove and set aside.
Assemble the sandwiches
- Add ⅓rd cup mayonnaise into a small bowl. Add ¼th tsp paprika, ¼th tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp pickle juice and a pinch of salt & pepper. Stir to combine.Spread the seasoned mayo on cut sides of the buns. On the bottom bun layer on onion slices, pickle slices and as lice of tomato. Add chicken then top with iceberg lettuce. Top with the bun and serve. Enjoy!