Flank steak (when done right) is one of my very favorite cuts of meat and is far more economical (and in my opinion more flavorful) than many other more expensive options. The keys to getting a super tender flank steak are to tenderize it with a meat mallet (or rolling pin or heavy skillet), marinate it for at least 30 minutes to an hour before grilling and, most importantly, making sure you slice it against the grain. This breaks up any stringy fibers and makes for a tender and succulent bite.
I created this lower carb take on my favorite steak fajita recipe by replacing the tortillas with fresh butter lettuce and amping up the veggies. It's such a delicious and satisfying meal that you don't miss the carbs at all! If you keep the ratio of 75% veggies to 25% protein then this is a perfect 2B Mindset meal and with a few minor modifications (listed below) it's also Keto, Paleo and Whole30 compliant. And with the holiday season coming up, isn't that exactly what we need? 😉
Low Carb Steak Fajitas
- 1-2 lb flank steak
For the Marinade
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1-2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Chipotle powder Chili powder will also work in a pinch
- 2 tbsp soy sauce Sub coconut aminos for Paleo/Whole30
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Jalapeno Pepper Jelly, I recommend Preserve International Omit to make Paleo or Whole30 compliant or replace with ½ chopped fresh jalapeno
For the Veggies
- 3-4 bell peppers I like a variety of colors but whatever you have on hand works
- 2 small onions, halved and sliced
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chipotle or chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 head butter lettuce, or other lettuce wrap of your choosing You can of course also use tortillas if not going for low carb
- sour cream (optional) omit for Whole30 or Paleo
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- fresh lime wedges (optional)
- avocadao (optional) omit for 2BMindset
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients from the lime to the pepper jelly until well combined. Set aside.
- Remove flank steak from package and, using a meat mallet or heavy skillet, tenderize for about 30 seconds until a consistent thickness.
- Place steak in a large, sealable plastic bag and pour marinade over it. Marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- About 20-30 minutes before you plan to grill remove steak from the fridge so that it can come to room temperature before cooking. Preheat your grill to medium high.
- While the steak is coming to room temperature, slice your peppers into thin strips and combine in a medium sized mixing bowl with sliced onions. Sprinkle salt, cumin, chipotle (or chili) powder, and dried oregano over the vegetables and stir to evenly distribute.
- Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to the bottom of a cast iron skillet or other heavy pan and heat on high until hot and shimmering.
- Once hot, add the veggies to the pan and press down in an even layer. Let the veggies cook for a minute or 2 undisturbed. Then stir them up again and repeat the process, pushing in a even layer and cooking on medium high/high for a minute or 2 undisturbed until your veggies are cooked through and lightly charred. Remove from the heat, cover with foil to keep warm and set aside.
- Once your grill is hot, place your steak on the grill and cook with the lid closed for about 4 minutes. Flip the steak over and cook for another 3 minutes with the lid closed.
- Remove steak from the grill and allow it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing. *Note* In order to get a tender flank steak it is critical that you slice AGAINST the grain. This ensure any stringy fibers are broken up and you get a more tender bite.
- Serve veggies and flank steak on butter lettuce wraps with cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream and any other toppings you desire. Enjoy!
*Note* The above links are considered as â€œaffiliate linksâ€. This means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided that are signaled with.
The Jam Jar Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn income by advertising and linking to amazon.com, audible.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.