This Air Fryer Whole Chicken is the easiest, juiciest and most flavorful roast chicken you can imagine and comes together in just one hour!
Oh the magical air fryer, what can't you do? Who would have thought that you can roast an entire 4-5 pound chicken in a counter top kitchen appliance in less than an hour? Or that it would have the juiciest meat and most delicious crispy golden skin? I'm telling you.. magic!
This air fryer whole chicken is one of those meals that will make you feel like a kitchen goddess with not only very little effort, but very little clean up. Now tell me, does it get any better?
As an added bonus this recipe is compatible with a Whole30 or Paleo lifestyle, is naturally low carb / Keto, dairy free, gluten free and super high in protein. I recommend purchasing an organic or pasture raised chicken for the ultimate flavor and health benefits. Enjoy!
Other air fryer recipes you will love.
- Measuring spoons
- Small mixing bowl or cup
- Paper towels
- Meat thermometer (optional): The easiest way to tell if the chicken is done is by using a meat thermometer. I love this Oxo meat thermometer but and instant read will do. You can also just make sure that when you slice the chicken the juices run clear.
- Air Fryer: To make this recipe you will need an air fryer that is large enough to safely hold a whole chicken. I love my Power XL Vortex 7 Qt which works perfectly for a 4-5 pound broiler chicken.
- Small, whole chicken: I recommend using about a 4-5 pound broiler chicken for this recipe. If possible, I highly recommend selecting an organic chicken that is pasture raised. The quality really does make a difference in flavor!
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried thyme
- Dried Rosemary
Step by Step Instructions
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to cook a whole chicken in the air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees while you prep the chicken.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and remove the packaging. Pat dry with a paper towel then season both sides of the chicken with salt.
- In a small bowl combine garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the chicken to evenly coat.
- Place the chicken breast side down in the preheated air fryer. Cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Flip the chicken to the other side and continue cooking at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the air fryer and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes. Slice, serve and enjoy!
This air fryer whole chicken is incredibly versatile and can be served with a variety of sides.
I love serving it with my Garlic Butter Green Beans or Bacon & Balsamic Brussel Sprouts.
For a complete Whole30 dinner serve with Whole30 Mashed Potatoes or my favorite Classic British Roasties and a nice salad.
Dietary and Lifestyle Information
This Air Fryer Whole Chicken is dairy free, gluten free, soy free and grain free.
It is Whole30, Paleo and Keto compatible and is a great protein option for someone following the 2B Mindset program.
No you do not. In fact, I would actually advise against it as doing so can spread germs. Simply pat it dry with a paper towel and you're good to go!
It kind of depends on the air fryer but generally the answer is yes. It helps achieve a more even cook and faster cooking time. Simply turn the air fryer on while you prep the chicken and that should be plenty of time to preheat it.
You want you chicken to reach an internal temperature of about 165 degrees F before taking it out of the air fryer.
Don't throw away that chicken carcass. Make homemade chicken bone broth!
Making chicken bone broth at home is so much easier than you might think and the perfect way to get the most out of this roast chicken.
Simply add the chicken carcass to your slow cooker along with a few scraps of carrots/onions/celery and other aromatic vegetables.
Cover with water and slow cook on the low setting for around 14-16 hours.
Once the chicken broth is cooked simply strain out the bones and veggies and salt to taste. Healthy and delicious perfection!
Other recipes for you to enjoy.
The Best Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Made this Air Fryer Whole Chicken recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Measuring spoons
- Small mixing bowl
- Air fryer
- 4-5 lb whole chicken organic and/or pasture raised recommended for best flavor
- 1 tsp salt plus more for salting the chicken
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F while you prep the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from packaging and pat dry with a paper towel. Season both sides with salt and set aside. Wash your hands.
- In a small bowl combine all remaining ingredients and mix to create a thick paste. Rub the spice paste evenly over the entire chicken.
- Place the chicken, breast side down, in the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken to the other side then cook for an additional 25-30 minutes until the chicken reaches an international temperature of 165 degrees F and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Then slice, serve and enjoy!
Oh, I have never deal with a whole chicken to cook. I was scared enough until I found your recipe. I made it, and it turned out perfect!
Such a gorgeous chicken! It sounds amazing with all those spices and I love how easily it comes together in the air fryer. Yum!
I just bought a whole chicken and it was too hot to turn on the oven so I am so happy I found this recipe! It came our perfectly juicy and everyone loved it, will be making again! Thank you!
That chicken skin looks so delicious and crispy. I never before cookes a whole chicken in my air fryer, but I'll have to give this recipe a try. Thanks for all of the detailed instructions.
This recipe turned out so good. The chicken has an amazing taste and looked pretty on the table! What more can you ask for?
Posts like this are enough to make me buy an Air Fryer! This looks ridiculously good!
I love this recipe and I’ve made it a couple of times. I have IBS so I did have to tweak the recipe just a bit. Instead of onions and garlic I used garlic infused olive oil and I did use a smoked paprika because it’s my favorite spice in addition to the rosemary. Turns out great every time.