These simple and delicious Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Dates are a perfect snack or appetizer for any gathering. Sweet dates are stuffed with a combination of goat cheese, mascarpone and basil and then wrapped in salty prosciutto finished with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Superb!
These Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Dates are one of my favorite recipes for entertaining! I first had them at a holiday party years ago and have been making my version ever since.
This recipe makes around 28 stuffed dates but it is incredibly easy to double or triple the ingredients to serve a larger crowd. Plus you can easily make them in advance. Just be sure to take them out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
What are dates?
Dates are actually the fruit of the date palm tree which grows in many tropical regions around the world.
There are several varieties of dates and all are delicious. For this particular recipe I recommend using the larger medjool dates. And to make life easier you can even buy them pitted.
Other appetizer recipes you will love.
- Large pitted medjool dates
- Mascarpone cheese: I love using mascarpone in this recipe because it is exceptionally creamy and delicious. If you need a substitute in a pinch full fat cream cheese will work.
- Goat cheese
- Fresh basil
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt & freshly cracker black pepper
For serving (optional):
- High quality olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Flaky sea salt: I recommend Maldon Flaky Sea Salt.
- Thinly sliced fresh basil
Yes, you can! Simply make the dates the day before and store in the fridge overnight. Then take them out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving.
Definitely! Simply multiply the ingredients by how many servings to need.
Mascarpone works beautifully for this recipe because of its silky texture and rich flavor. I highly recommend getting your hands on some but if you can't find any full fat cream cheese will work in a pinch.
Other recipes you will enjoy.
Fig Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini with Prosciutto
Goat Cheese Crostini with Garlic & Rosemary Sun Dried Tomatoes
Made these Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Dates? Let me know what you think in the comments!
Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Dates
- mixing bowl
- small spoon
- 28 large pitted dates
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- pinch of salt & pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 6 pieces prosciutto, each cut into 5 slices lengthwise
For serving (optional)
- good quality olive oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- flaky sea salt
- thinly sliced basil
- In a medium size mixing bowl add ¼th cup each of goat cheese, mascarpone cheese and thinly sliced fresh basil. Add in a pinch of salt and black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes (if desired). Mix until well combined.
- Make a small incision in each of the dates and then use a small spoon to stuff them with the goat cheese mixture. Then wrap each stuffed date with a thin slice of prosciutto.
- To serve, arrange the stuffed and wrapped dates on a platter and drizzle with good quality olive oil. Then sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper, flaky sea salt and thinly slice basil. Enjoy!
The sweet and savory works so well together. What a simple appetizer to make ahead for the game day and I am sure my friends will enjoy it as much as we did.
I made this for a family get together and it as a major hit!!
What an amazing way to use dates. These look incredible.
I love that you can make these earlier in the day for a party! Great recipe!