These colorful Funfetti Cookies are a delightful riff on the classic sprinkle cake loved by kids and adults alike!
These delicious sprinkle filled cookies could not be more fun or more delicious! I first made these for an end of season soccer party for my pre-schooler and they were an absolute hit with the kiddos, and honestly the adults as well!
Almond extract and an abundance of rainbow sprinkles make these cookies delightfully reminiscent of the classic funfetti cake, only handheld and (not from a box). Give them a go and let me know what you think!
More baking recipes for you to enjoy.
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer: I absolutely adore my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer for making cookies. The Kitchenaid Hand mixer also works great!
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls: These Pyrex glass mixing bowls work great for baking!
- Parchment lined baking sheet
- Cookie scoop (optional): I love this medium cookie scoop from Oxo.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Corn starch
- Unsalted butter
- White granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Almond extract
- Vanilla extract
- Rainbow sprinkles
The chilling process allows the fat to solidify in the dough before cooking. This prevents the cookies from overspread while baking, so definitely don't skip this step!
I prefer using the classic long rainbow sprinkles for this recipe. You can use round sprinkles but I find they stay a bit crunchier and give a different texture.
I love the subtle almond flavor in these cookies but if you aren't a fan feel free to omit and replace with vanilla extract.
More recipes you will love.
Made this Funfetti Cookie recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
- medium mixing bowl
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment or Hand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- parchment lined baking sheet
- wire cookling rack
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1.5 sticks unsalted butter (12 tbsp) room temperature
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cups sprinkles
- ½ cup sprinkles
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda and corn starch. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment OR large mixing bowl with hand mixer, combine butter and sugars. Cream on medium high speed for at least 2 minutes until well combined. With the mixer on low speed, add in 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, almond extract and vanilla extract. Turn to medium and mix until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add in about half of the flour mixture to the bowl with the wet mixture and mix on medium speed for 15-30 seconds. Then add in the remaining flour mixture and blend on medium speed for another 15-30 seconds until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Then add in ½ to ¾ cup of sprinkles and mix on the lowest speed for about 5 seconds until well distributed throughout the dough.
- Cover the mixture with cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to overnight before baking.*Note: If you refrigerate overnight you might need to let the dough set as room temperature for 15-30 minutes until it is soft enough to scoop.*
- When you are ready to bake the cookies preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.Add about ½ a cup of sprinkles to a rimmed plate or shallow bowl. Using a cookie scoop, measure out about 1.5 tbsp of dough and roll into a rough ball. Then gently roll the top and sides of the dough ball in the sprinkles and place (bare side down) on a parchments lined baking sheet, Bake the cookies at 350 degree for 8-9 minutes then remove from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!