These delightful corndog bites are so fun to eat and even easier to make! A family and lunch box favorite!
Lately my kids have been snubbing their noses at their usual lunchbox sandwiches so I've been looking for an equally simple alternative they will love. These Corndog Bites have been just the ticket!
All you need for this recipe is a box of cornbread mix and listed add-ins and hot dogs. They are delicious eaten hot straight out of the oven and work great in lunches throughout the week. They are also a fantastic tailgate or party snack! Serve with a selection of dips like ketchup and mustard. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
More snack recipes you will love.
For this recipe you will need:
- Mixing bowls: I love these glass Pyrex mixing bowls.
- Whisk: This Oxo whisk works great.
- Mini muffin tin: This Cuisinart nonstick mini muffin tin is the perfect size and works great.
- Hotdogs: Any of your favorite hot dog brands will work for this recipe. Beef, pork and turkey all work great. You could also use smoked sausage if preferred. I personally love these Whole Foods 365 organic grass fed beef hotdogs.
- Cornbread mix : To make this recipe super easy I simply mixed up a box of cornbread mix. I love using Whole Foods 365 brand cornbread mix, which comes in a 15 oz package. But you can use the brand of your choice. Just be sure to increase the amount if it's a smaller size. Jiffy comes in 8 oz boxes so you would need 2 packages for this recipe. Krusteaz 15 oz cornbread mix also works well.
- Cornbread Add-Ins: Use the add-ins that are listed on the instructions of the cornbread mix. For me that is eggs, milk and vegetable oil. But this can change based on the brand.
- Non stick spray: Feel free to coat the pan traditionally with butter and flour if you prefer but I like to make things easier on myself with cooking spray. You can also line the muffin pan with liners if you prefer.
Tips and Tricks
This recipe really could not get any easier.
The main issue that can come up is that the corndog bites stick to the mini muffin tin. To prevent this simply spray the pan with non-stick baking spray or line the tins with paper or silicone liners. These will ensure easy removal.
Also, be sure to check on the corndog bites while baking as different ovens and cornbread mixes can bake differently. You'll know they are done when the cornbread is cooked through and golden brown along the edges.
This recipe is easily make gluten free and dairy free.
Simply choose gluten free hotdogs and cornbread mix to make gluten free.
For a dairy free option you can replace milk with a non-dairy substitute such as oatmeal or almond milk.
Feel free to use any hot dog or sausage of your choice. I like using all beef hotdogs but this recipe also works well with pork or turkey hot dogs or any similar sized (fully cooked) smoked sausage.
I recommend serving with a side of ketchup and mustard for dipping.
This recipe also works great in lunch box and lasts 4 days in the fridge.
Made this mini muffin Corndog Bites recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
- mixing bowls and whisk
- Mini Muffin Tin
- 6 hotdogs
- non-stick spray
Cornbread Mix and Add-in's
- 1 box cornbread mix I use a 365 brand 15 oz box of cornbread mix and add ingredients as listed
- 2 eggs OR the amount listed on the cornbread mix box
- 1 cup milk OR the amount listed on the cornbread mix box
- ⅓ cup vegetable OR the amount listed on the cornbread mix box
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Mix up the cornbread mix according to package instructions, using ingredients listed on the package. Set asideCut hotdogs into 1 inch pieces (approximately 6 pieces per hot dog). Spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray (you could also use muffin tin liners). Add 1 to 1.5 tbsp of cornbread mixture into each mini muffin tin. Then insert one piece of hotdog into batter of each 10. (You will get approximately 36 corndog bites total). Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve with your choice of dipping sauce and enjoy!