This pan seared salmon with mustard sauce and bacon fried cabbage is a perfect healthy weeknight meal the whole family will love! It's also easy to make Whole30, Keto and Paleo compliant and is great for those following the 2B Mindset program.
Cabbage is one of my very favorite vegetables and I love that you can infuse it with so much flavor through very little effort. This version simply involves frying up some bacon, then sauteeing onion, garlic and cabbage in the bacon fat, seasoning with salt and pepper and serving with crumbled crispy bacon on top. The fish is seared simply with salt and pepper and served with a 1 minute wholegrain mustard and dill sauce that really elevates and brightens this dish.
This meal is easily modified to be Whole30, Keto, Paleo and if you measure your proportions right is a great option for someone following the 2B Mindset program.
Other seafood recipes you will love.
- Dutch oven or large heavy bottom pot: I love my Le Creuset Dutch Oven and use it almost every day!
- Slotted spoon: This Oxo slotted spoon is my favorite.
- Paper towel lined plate
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Salmon filets
- Olive oil
- Brown sugar (optional): Omit for Whole30, Keto or Paleo.
- Fresh lemon
- Salt & pepper
- Wholegrain mustard
- Honey (optional): Omit for Whole30 or Keto.
- Fresh Dill
This recipe is naturally gluten free and dairy free.
- To make this recipe Whole30 compatible. Omit the brown sugar in the cabbage and omit the honey in the mustard sauce.
- To make this recipe Paleo compatible. Omit the brown sugar in the cabbage. *Optional* substitute with an equal amount of maple syrup.
- To make this recipe lower in carbs and Keto compatible. Omit the brown sugar in the cabbage and omit the honey in the mustard sauce.
Other salmon recipes you might enjoy.
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
Seared Salmon with Mustard Sauce and Bacon Fried Cabbage
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil (optional)
- 1 medium head of cabbage, quartered then sliced to about ¼th inch (approximately 8-10 cups) Napa or green cabbage preferred
- 2 tsp brown sugar (optional, omit for Whole30, Paleo and Keto)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- lemon, divided into 2 halves
- 4 6 oz salmon fillets
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp honey (omit for Whole30 or Keto)
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Make the Bacon Fried Cabbage
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat and add chopped bacon piece. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until bacon is brown and crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Be careful not to remove too much bacon grease as that is what you will cook the vegetables in.
- Place the sliced onions into the pot with the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until translucent and soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add in crushed garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so until fragrant.
- Add in chopped cabbage, brown sugar (omit for Whole30, Keto & Paleo), and a generous pinch of salt & pepper. Turn heat to medium high and mix cabbage to coat. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until cabbage is tender. Add bacon back into the pot and cook for another minute or so.
- Remove from heat. Squeeze in the juice of half a small lemon and add any additional salt & pepper to taste.
Make the salmon and mustard sauce
- Take salmon out of the fridge and pat dry with a paper towel. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot and shimmering.
- Season both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper. Place the salmon skin side down into the pan (you should immediately hear a sizzle) and cook over medium high heat for 3.5 minutes.
- Flip salmon to skin side down and continue to cook for another 4 minutes until the skin is nice and crispy and the salmon is cooked through. Immediately remove from the pan to a plate.
- While the salmon is cooking, prepare the sauce by whisking together the wholegrain mustard, honey (omit if Whole30 or Keto), fresh dill, juice of ½ lemon, 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Serve the salmon hot over a bed of cabbage topped with mustard sauce. Enjoy!