When you are looking for a fast and delicious healthy side dish it doesn't get much better than these Air Fryer Squash. This recipe takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish and is a perfect way to cook up your favorite summer squash!
Yes I know, my air fryer obsession continues. But I'll tell you what it does wonders for helping this busy working mom get healthy meals on the table fast. And I mean really fast.
This Air Fryer squash recipe will work with about any summer squash you can find, whether that be zucchini, yellow squash, Italian squash, you name it. I love adding a little garlic powder and Italian seasoning to this recipe but you can really get creative and season to your personal taste. Hope you enjoy!
Why do I love my air fryer?
I'm not going to lie it took me some time to jump on the air fryer bandwagon, but y'all, I am so glad I did. While it works similar to an oven, particularly a convection oven, it is so much easier to preheat, use and clean up and generally takes less time with crispier results.
It is especially great when used for recipes like this when you want a quick, easy and healthy side dish without all the fuss of turning on the oven and dirtying another pan.
The air fryer truly is a miracle of kitchen technology!
Other air fryer recipes you will love.
- Cutting board and knife
- Measure spoon
- Mixing bowl : These Pyrex glass bowls are microwave and dishwasher safe and my go to mixing bowls!
- Air Fryer: I love my Power XL Air Fryer because it heats up super fast and can hold a ton in the basket. This recipe will work with pretty much any standard air fryer.
- Summer squash: I like a combo of yellow squash and zucchini but you can really use any summer squash your prefer.
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Italian seasoning (optional): I love roast squash with Italian seasoning and garlic powder but this recipe is also delicious with just salt and pepper or really any other of your favorite seasonings.
- Garlic powder (optional)
Step by Step Instructions
Time needed: 9 minutes.
How to make squash in the air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Prep the squash and season.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 6-7 minutes, shaking the basket at the half way point.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Enjoy!
It sort of depends on your air fryer but by and large I recommend preheating for at least a couple of minutes, or about the time it takes to prep the squash. It will give you a more even cook and take less time over all.
Store in the fridge in an air tight container for 3-4 days. You can reheat in the microwave (in a microwave safe glass bowl. Never microwave food in plastic!)
Yes! Though I recommend sticking to summer varieties which have a similar texture and require the same amount of time to cook.
Zucchini, Italian squash, yellow squash all work well and can be used interchangeably in this recipe.
Dietary and Lifestyle Information
This recipe is naturally gluten free, dairy free, grain free and soy free.
Tips for perfect Air Fryer Squash
- Pick in season squash at the peak of freshness. The quality of the squash itself is going to make a huge difference in this recipe. You want squash that is firm and has a bright color.
- Adjust cooking time to your preferred level of firmness. 6-7 minutes should get you squash that is softened but still a little firm. If you prefer a softer squash then add a minute or two to the cook time. If you prefer more al dente check it around the 4-5 minute mark.
- Season to taste. Make sure that you taste the squash and add salt and pepper accordingly. Most of the time when people feel like a recipe is missing something it is usually salt. Add a little, taste again and see what you think.
Other recipes for you to enjoy.
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
Air Fryer Squash
- Air fryer
- Cutting board and knife
- mixing bowl
- 2 medium/large summer squash I like using 1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash, but any combination will work.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder optional
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F for a couple minutes while you prep the squash. Slice the squash in ¼th inch disks and place in a mixing bowl. Drizzle on olive oil, a generous pinch of salt and pepper and Italian seasoning and garlic powder (if using). Toss until the squash is evenly coated in the oil and seasoning. Pour squash into the basket of the preheated air fryer and cook at 400 degrees F for 6-7 minutes until you desired level of firmness is achieved. Remove from the basket and immediately toss with a little more salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!