This Whole30 Egg roll in a Bowl is a staple for me during a round Whole30 and after. It is crazy delicious, so simple to throw together and seriously takes less than 20 minutes.
The perfect weeknight meal!
- Ground Pork: I highly recommend using ground pork for this recipe. The fattiness and flavor just works really well in this dish. But, you can substitute ground chicken or turkey if you prefer.
- Green Onions: Green onions play a duel role in this recipe. Be sure to divide the white parts from the green. The whites will be cooked in with the dish and the greens are used as a fresh garnish.
- Garlic & Ginger: Fresh garlic and ginger add so much flavor to the dish. I highly highly recommend using fresh but if you’re looking for a short-cut garlic and ginger paste work as well.
- Cole Slaw Mix: To make this recipe especially quick and easy I simply use bagged coleslaw mix. It has both red and green cabbage as well as some matchstick carrots. You can also used straight shredded cabbage as well.
- Water Chestnuts (optional): People seem to have a love/hate relationship with water chestnuts. I personally love them and the texture and crunch they give to the dish. However, if you are a hater or don’t have them on hand feel free to leave out.
- Coconut Aminos: A Whole30 pantry staple! Coconut aminos can basically be used interchangeably with soy sauce so if you are not on a strict Whole30 or Paleo diet and you don’t have any coconut aminos, soy sauce will work great.
- Fish Sauce: This is another one of my favorite ingredients when I’m doing a Whole30, or anytime really. A lot of people like to skip using fish sauce but I really recommend against that because it adds wonderful umami flavor to the dish. If you are doing a Whole30 be sure to check your labels. Some fish sauce brands do contain added sugar which is why I highly recommend using Red Boat Fish Sauce. It’s the best by far and a little goes a long way.
- Rice Vinegar: One of my favorites vinegars. Gives great acidity and flavor to the dish. Just be surest check those labels for any added sugars.
- Chili Garlic Sauce: Yai’s Thai Chili Garlic Sauce is a staple in my house and adds flavor to so many dishes. If you can’t find any you can substitute sriracha sauce. Just know that the flavor will be slightly different.
- Toasted Sesame Oil: I love toasted sesame oil and it adds such a interesting depth to this dish. Be sure to look for the “toasted” version rather than plan sesame oil as that will make a difference to the flavor.
- Toppings: I love topping this Whole30 Egg roll in a Bowl with sesame seeds, green onions and Sriracha sauce. I HIGHLY recommend using Yellowbird Sriracha Sauce as it is Whole30 and Paleo compliant and absolutely delicious.
Tips and Tricks:
The key, and I mean KEY, to making this recipe great is to not overcook the cabbage. It really does only need a couple minutes to cook and you want to remove from the heat when it is just wilted. This ensures that you get some nice crunchy bites and not a bunch of soggy cabbage. And really, who wants that?
Check out more Whole30 recipes from The Jam Jar Kitchen!
The above links are considered as “affiliate links”. This means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided that are signaled with.
The Jam Jar Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn income by advertising and linking to amazon.com, audible.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.