This Whole30 and Paleo compatible Egg roll in a Bowl recipe is a weeknight staple in our house! It is crazy delicious, so simple to throw together and seriously takes less than 20 minutes!
Making Whole30 / Paleo Cooking Quick, Easy and Delicious !
One of the main complaints I hear from my friends and family during a round of Whole30 is how more time they spend in the kitchen.
But cooking and eating healthy doesn't have to be time consuming! This recipe seriously takes 20 minutes to makes, is packed with flavor and uses pre-shredded cabbage to make life just a little easier!
Check out my other Whole30 compatible recipes that come together in 30 minutes or less!
- Ground Pork: I highly recommend using ground pork for this recipe. The fattiness and flavor just works really well in this dish. But, you can substitute ground chicken or turkey if you prefer.
- Green Onions: Green onions play a duel role in this recipe. Be sure to divide the white parts from the green. The whites will be cooked in with the dish and the greens are used as a fresh garnish.
- Garlic & Ginger: Fresh garlic and ginger add so much flavor to the dish. I highly highly recommend using fresh but if you're looking for a short-cut garlic and ginger paste work as well.
- Cole Slaw Mix: To make this recipe especially quick and easy I simply use bagged coleslaw mix. It has both red and green cabbage as well as some matchstick carrots. You can also used straight shredded cabbage as well.
- Water Chestnuts (optional): People seem to have a love/hate relationship with water chestnuts. I personally love them and the texture and crunch they give to the dish. However, if you are trying to stick to Keto or don't have them on hand feel free to leave out.
- Coconut Aminos: A Whole30 pantry staple! Coconut aminos can basically be used interchangeably with soy sauce so if you are not on a strict Whole30 or Paleo diet and you don't have any coconut aminos, soy sauce will work great.
- Fish Sauce: This is another one of my favorite ingredients when I'm doing a Whole30, or anytime really. A lot of people like to skip using fish sauce but I really recommend against that because it adds wonderful umami flavor to the dish. If you are doing a Whole30 be sure to check your labels. Some fish sauce brands do contain added sugar which is why I highly recommend using Red Boat Fish Sauce. It's the best by far and a little goes a long way.
- Rice Vinegar: One of my favorites vinegars. Gives great acidity and flavor to the dish. Just be surest check those labels for any added sugars.
- Chili Garlic Sauce: Yai's Thai Chili Garlic Sauce is a staple in my house and adds flavor to so many dishes. If you can't find any you can substitute sriracha sauce. Just know that the flavor will be slightly different.
- Toasted Sesame Oil: I love toasted sesame oil and it adds such a interesting depth to this dish. Be sure to look for the "toasted" version rather than plan sesame oil as that will make a difference to the flavor.
- Toppings: I love topping this Whole30 Egg roll in a Bowl with sesame seeds, green onions and Sriracha sauce. I HIGHLY recommend using Yellowbird Sriracha Sauce as it is Whole30 and Paleo compliant and absolutely delicious.
Tip: Do not overcook the cabbage!
The key, and I mean KEY, to making this recipe great is to not overcook the cabbage.
It really does only need a couple minutes to cook and you want to remove from the heat when it is just wilted. This ensures that you get some nice crunchy bites and not a bunch of soggy cabbage. And really, who wants that?