This festive and delicious Holiday Margarita updates the classic cocktail with holiday flavors making this the perfect seasonal, celebratory drink!
Being from Texas I have had my fair share of margaritas over the years but this holiday version holds a special place in my festive heart.
This Christmasy margarita is shaken with an egg white for extra frothy deliciousness and is served on the rocks. I love garnishing it with cranberries and a sprig of rosemary for a lovely herbaceous-ness. Santa may be forgoing his annual milk when you introduce him to this holiday delight!
More cocktail recipes you will love.
- Cocktail shaker
- Serving glasses
- Tequila Blanco: Regular tequila will work but I think tequila blanco works best in this recipe.
- Cointreau: You can substitute with Triple Sec if you prefer.
- Simple Syrup: This recipe uses simple syrup with a 2:1 ration of sugar to water. If you are using a homemade simple syrup with a 1:1 ratio simply add a little more and sweeten to taste.
- Lime juice: Fresh lime juice is always best!
- Unsweetened cranberry juice: Be sure to use unsweetened cranberry juice rather than cranberry cocktail.
- Egg white: You can use a fresh egg white or from the carton.
For the sugar / salt rim (optional)
- Lime Wedge
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh cranberries
- Lime wedge
Variations and Mix Ins
Make it a Spicy Holiday Margarita. Add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce or slices of jalapeno to the cocktail shaker before shaking. I like using El Yucateco Red Habanero Hot Sauce.
Make a rosemary simple syrup. You can really up the rosemary flavor by using rosemary simple syrup. To make simply add 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of boiling water and stir until dissolved. Then pour in a jar and add in a sprig of rosemary. Allow to cool in the fridge before using.
Garnish with sugared cranberries. String some sugared cranberries on a cocktail skewer and serve on top of the margarita.
For the recipe cointreau and triple sec can be used interchangeably. You could also use Grand Marnier in a pinch.
The truth is that eating raw eggs in any fashion is never 100% safe. However, the likelihood that a quality egg white will cause any issues is incredibly low.
If you're concerned be sure to buy high quality, pasteurized eggs and store them in your fridge before using.
You can omit the egg whites if you prefer, but I think that add a luscious foaminess that really makes this margarita something special.
More holiday recipes you will love.
Made this Holiday Margarita? Let me know what you think in the comments!
- Cocktail Shaker
- 3 oz tequila blanco
- 1.5 oz cointreau or triple sec
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz unsweetened cranberry juice
- ½ oz simple syrup (2:1 ratio) add more or less to taste
- 1 egg white
For the sugar salt rim (optional)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- lime wedge
- fresh rosemary
- fresh cranberries
- lime wedges
- If doing a sugar salt rim add a generous pinch of salt and sugar to a shallow bowl or plate. Wet the rims of your glasses with a lime wedges and then dip the rims into the sugar salt mixture, turning to coat. Then fill glasses with ice and set aside.
- To make the cocktail get out a cocktail shaker or large mason jar with a lid and add tequila blanco, cointreau or triple sec, lime juice, cranberry juice, simple syrup and 1 egg white. Shake vigorously for 30-45 seconds until well combined and frothy. Divide the margarita between the ice filled glasses and garnish with a sprig of rosemary and fresh cranberries. Enjoy responsibly!