This Passionfruit Margarita is my new favorite warm weather sip! Slightly sweet with that classic passionfruit tartness, these delicious tequila based cocktails are a refreshing treat that are sure to impress!
Passionfruit is my all time favorite fruit and I absolutely LOVE using it in cocktails. Not only does it have a delicious fruity tartness but personally I love the crunch and texture of the seeds and never strain them out in this recipe (although you are more than welcome to do so).
This cocktail is tart, slightly sweet and a little bit dangerous in the sense that you barely taste the tequila. It is my personal favorite drink when the weather starts warming up and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
What is a passionfruit?
Passionfruit, or passion fruit, is a sweet, tart seedy fruit that is native to Brazil and Argentina but now grown in many places around the world. It sort of tastes like a mixture between a peach, mango and pineapple with similar but less crunchy seeds than a pomegranate. Basically the perfect fruit!
Fresh passionfruit hasn't always been readily available in grocery stores in the U.S. but over the past few years has become a far more common market staple that is pretty easy to find.
More drink recipes you will love.
- Cocktail shaker or mason jar with a lid: I love this Oxo cocktail shaker or you can buy these lids that fit any wide mouth mason jar.
- Fresh passionfruit: This recipe was designed using a whole fresh passionfruit and I highly recommend fresh over passionfruit juice, which is sweetened.
- Lime juice: Fresh or bottled (unsweetened) will both work for this recipe.
- Tequila blanco: I really prefer using tequila blanco for this recipe because it tends to have a milder flavor but you can totally use any of your favorite tequila brands.
- Triple sec
- Simple syrup: I use a homemade simple syrup with a 1:1 ratio (see below for how to make simple syrup at home). If you use a store bought version check for the ratio, if it's higher than 1 part sugar to 1 part water you may want to use a little less depending on how sweet you like your cocktails.
- Sugar, salt and lime (optional): These are for the sugar/salt rim which is totally optional but really makes this cocktail something special. If you prefer you can also use just sugar or just salt for the rim.
Step by Step Instructions
Time needed: 5 minutes.
How to make a passionfruit margarita:
- Wet the rim of a glass with a wedge of lime. Dip the rim in a mixture of salt and sugar. Swirl to coat.
- In a cocktail shaker or mason jar with lid, add pulp of one fresh passionfruit, lime juice, tequila blanco, triple sec and simple syrup. Shake for 15 seconds then add ice and shake for another 15-30 seconds.
- Add ice to the cocktail glass and pour in the margarita. Enjoy responsibly!
If you prefer not to have passionfruit seeds in the drink you can strain into the glass. Otherwise, simply pour in the margarita, ice and seeds.
How do I make homemade simple syrup?
Traditional simple syrup is made by combine 1 part sugar to 1 part water.
Simply heat or boil the water then add in equal parts sugar and mix until the sugar is completely dissolved.
You can store 1:1 simple syrup in the fridge for up to 1 month.
You can! And in my opinion they add fabulous texture to this cocktail. However, if you are not a fan of the crunch simply strain the margarita into the glass after shaking.
You can! If you can't find fresh passionfruit a lot of stores now have frozen options available. Just be sure that it isn't sweetened and that you thaw before using.
I would not recommend it for this recipe. This cocktail was created using fresh passion fruit. Passionfruit juice is sweetened and a different consistency.
I personally prefer the milder flavor of tequila blanco in this recipe but it will definitely work with any of your favorite tequila brands.
Can I make a pitcher of passionfruit margaritas?
You can! To make a pitcher serving 4 people combine:
- The pulp of 4 fresh passionfruit.
- Tequila blanco, 6 oz
- Fresh lime juice, 2 oz
- Simple syrup, 2 oz
- Triple sec, 2 oz
Shake or stir to combine then serve over ice. You can easily multiply this recipe for as many servings as you need.
Other cocktails for you to enjoy.
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments!
- 1 fresh passionfruit
- .5 oz fresh lime juice
- 1.5 oz tequila blanco
- .5 oz triple sec
- .5 oz simple syrup
For the sugar salt rim (optional)
- 1 tsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- lime wedge or juice
- Add equal amounts of salt and sugar to a small plate and mix. Wet the rim of the cocktail glass with a little lime juice and drip the rim into the salt/sugar mixture. Swirl to coat. In a cocktail shaker or mason jar with lid add the pulp of 1 fresh passionfruit, lime juice, tequila blanco, triple sec and simple syrup. Shake for about 15-30 seconds. Then add ice to the shaker and shake for an additional 30 15-20 seconds until well combined. Add ice to the prepared cocktail glass and then pour in the margarita. *If you like passionfruit seeds simply pour into the glass without straining. If you would prefer no seeds in the margarita strain into the glass.*Enjoy responsibly!