This Preserve Lemon Olive Tapenade packs a huge punch of fresh zesty flavor, the perfect topping for crusty bread or roasted meats! Pair it with a crisp glass of wine and you have the perfect patio snack.
I recently made a large batch of preserved lemons and have loved using them to add salt and flavor to all kinds of recipes! Check out my recipe for homemade Preserved Lemons here.
The idea for this tapenade came to me based on ingredients I had available: olives, jarred roasted red peppers, capers, fresh cilantro, olive oil and of course preserved lemons. I simply added them to a food processor, blended and the result was a fresh take on a classic tapenade bursting with flavor!
This tapenade pairs beautifully with crusty bread and a cold glass of wine, the ultimate patio weather snack!
What are preserved lemons?
Preserved lemons, also called pickled lemons or fermented lemons, are basically lemons that have been packed in a salty brine and allowed to ferment until they are soft and succulent.
They are especially common in North African and Middle Eastern cuisines. Unlike fresh lemons, the bitter sharpness of the original fruit is mellowed through the fermentation process, leaving an intense lemon flavor with a salty umami quality. Basically they are delicious!
More condiment and dip recipes you will love.
For this recipe you will need a food processor.
If you don't have one you can still make this Preserved Lemon Olive Tapenade by simply mincing all of the ingredients very finely and mixing together. The texture will be a bit chunkier but the flavor is still amazing.
- Pitted olives: You can use whatever you hand on hand. I like a nice mix of green and black olives.
- Roasted red peppers: Jarred roasted red pepper add beautiful sweetness and texture.
- Preserved lemon: You'll need the whole deseeded lemon (peel included). You can use store bought or make your own with my homemade preserved lemons recipe.
- Fresh garlic: Fresh garlic works much better than jarred garlic for this recipe.
- Fresh cilantro
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
You can find preserved lemons at most speciality grocers or order them on Amazon. However the easiest and most cost effective way to simply make them yourself at home. Check out my easy recipe for homemade preserved lemons.
Absolutely! This recipe is very flexible and forgiving. Feel free to get creative and make swaps as you prefer. For example, use parsley instead of lettuce, or add sundried tomatoes, etc.
Yes, it just may take a little more time. Simply mince all of the ingredients and then combine and serve.
This recipe is naturally dairy free, grain free and gluten free in addition to being Whole30 and Paleo compatible.
More recipes to check out.
Made this Preserved Lemon Olive Tapenade? Let me know what you think in the comments!
Preserved Lemon Olive Tapenade
- Food processor optional
- 2 cups pitted, chopped olives I like a mix of green and black olives
- ½ cup roasted red pepper
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 preserved lemon
- 1 tsp preserved lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined and serve with crusty or toasted bread. Enjoy!
- *NOTE if you don't have a food processor* Simply mince all the ingredients and combine. Then serve as above.