This delicious Breakfast-time Old Fashioned uses maple syrup and rye whiskey to elevate a classic cocktail.
Now I have to be upfront in saying that this is not a Jam Jar Kitchen original recipe. Rather it was created by the mix master Professor Baker for the Clyde May’s Whiskey Friendsgiving Cocktail Class that I attended last month. Getting to try new products and recipes is one of my favorite part about this food blogging journey and the Clyde May Friendsgiving did NOT disappoint.
My husband’s and father’s favorite cocktail is a an Old Fashioned so I have definitely made them a time or 2 but never with maple syrup and never with Clyde May’s Rye Whiskey, both of which take this classic drink to a new level. This is a perfect luxurious cocktail for the holiday season and it is seriously a breeze to throw together. No shaking, no over the top garnishes, just quality ingredients treated right to become something amazing.
Ingredients for this Breakfast-time Old Fashioned:
- Rye Whiskey: I highly recommend checking out Clyde Mays Rye Whiskey. It works beautifully with this recipe!
- Maple Syrup: Always check the ingredients on your maple syrup bottles to make sure it’s 100% pure maple syrup, I love Maple Grove Farms. Pancake syrup is basically just dyed corn syrup and doesn’t taste nearly as good.
- Bitters: I recommend Angostura Aromatic Bitters.
- Strip of orange zest: I use my Oxo veggie peeler and it works great!
- Large Ice Cube: Now you can of course just use regular ice but if you are a cocktail love I highly recommend getting a cocktail ice cube mold. The larger ice cube melt more slowly and thus don’t dilute you drink as quickly. Plus they look really cool!
Check out more Drink Recipes from The Jam Jar Kitchen!
I do not receive a commission from any purchases of Clyde May’s Whiskey.